Mold spores are everywhere. It can be found outdoors, indoors, at home and at work. Mold in office buildings and other commercial buildings is actually common. In fact, no indoor space is completely free from mold spores – not even a hospital’s surgical operating room. The question that is often asked is how much mold exists, and whether it is something that is effecting your workers, residents and customers.
According to the Environment Protection Agency, the indoor air quality (IAQ) of an average home can be up to 100 times worse than outdoor air quality.
If you live in New York, New Jersey or anywhere in the Northeast, you know that this summer has been a bad season for allergy sufferers. Pollen counts have been through the roof.
For asthmatics and allergy sufferers, spring is often a difficult season. While most people blame allergies on pollen and vegetation growth, it may be be the only trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks. The warmer weather and increased precipitation leads to growth or regrowth of mold.
Indoor air quality testing (IAQ) is becoming increasingly important as a health matter. Your home may actually be making you and your family sick. With more energy efficient building standards, homes are more insulated and sealed up more than ever before. Without fresh air exchange, the air in the home can cause a buildup of harmful pathogens. These include mold, radon gas and other airborne irritants. Other irritants come from cleaning chemicals, carpeting, furniture, and other sources which emit harmful fumes.