Water and mold spores are the recipe for home mold infestation, growing in damp places that you may or may not see.
With the right environment, mold and black mold can grow almost anywhere. The most obvious places are on walls, ceilings, carpets and bathtubs. It can also grow in hidden areas, such as within walls, under flooring or in closets.
Excess humidity or dampness from water leaks, pipe, bathtub or shower water condensation, can create the perfect conditions for mold growth.
Here are some tips to prevent mold growth:
– Promptly repair any roof leaks, basement wetness or leaking pipes.
– Clean up water problems immediately and remove wet materials, such as furnishings or wet materials.
– Keep your home well-ventilated, especially bathrooms, kitchens and basements.
– Keep the humidity in your house less than 50% with a dehumidifier or air conditioner.
– Don’t place carpeting in areas that are prone to having excess water. This includes bathrooms, kitchens and basements.
Signs of mold contamination include a damp or moldy smell, particularly in basements and bathrooms. Water stains or colored, fuzzy growth can often be seen on or near ceilings, walls, floors, windowsills and pipes.
If you suspect that you have a mold problem, call a professional mold removal service to inspect your home.