Black Mold, also known as Stachybotrys Chartarum, is a greenish-black fungus that grows well in materials with a high cellulose content. In homes, that includes drywall, carpet, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, flooring and more. Water damage, flooding and a dark, moist environment can create the conditions that allow mold and fungus to grow.
Black fungus is not only ugly, it can also be dangerous. Exposure to mold contamination can cause a variety of health problems. If you even suspect mold infestation anywhere in your home, efforts should be taken to remove it as soon as possible.
If mold gets in or behind drywall, it’s a serious matter. Where there has been water damage, black mold may appear, but mold can also grow in areas that are hidden. It’s common for fungus to spread to nearby areas, such as surrounding walls, floors, carpets and ceilings.
Mold cannot be left on drywall, but removing it can cause another set of problems. Any fungus below the surface of the drywall cannot be removed without cutting out part of the wall. Unfortunately, when walls are opened up, mold spores are often released into the air. This can lead to health problems from inhalation, but also sets the stage for further contamination. In cases where the mold is not quickly and completely removed, there exists a high risk that the mold will return. If there is more than surface contamination, generally a wall area must be completely removed.
If a large area of dry wall (larger than 10 square feet) is affected by mold, it’s recommended that the mold be removed by a certified mold professional. It’s better to have the job done right than to risk future damage to your home and your health.